Sunday, March 13, 2016

Chaplain Tami's Spot


      In 1989, my father, Chaplain Crozier Kimball Fitzgerald, was dying of cancer. As he became increasingly ill, he worked to find someone to take his place in the residential treatment center where he served as chaplain. The position was posted, but months went by without the facility having any applicants. One Saturday evening in May, my father called to ask if I would be willing to substitute for him should he become too weak to continue. As I had grown up attending Catholic Vacation Bible School, Protestant Youth of the Chapel, Nondenominational Services, and had been a mentor of youth from my youth, I felt comfortable and happy to help should it be needed. My dad then asked, "Can you meet me there tomorrow? I want to introduce you to the students. " I met him at the facility where I thoroughly enjoyed witnessing his warm and loving interaction with the youth. Two days later, one of the best and noblest of men died. He was only 56.
     My chaplaincy was launched that day and since then I have had the wonderful opportunity to serve as a chaplain to at-risk teens. In some way I have hoped to honor the legacy of faith left to me by my father. I didn't know it at the time, but agreeing to help my dad made me a first. Because of that day in 1989 where I said, "Sure Dad, I'll help," I became the first female chaplain in the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
     In October of 2015 I found out from collector, historian, and friend,  Brent Ashworth, that my 2nd great uncle, Elias Kimball, was commissioned in 1898 as the first LDS chaplain ever. How cool is that? Apparently chaplaincy is in my blood. And to think I just thought I was Irish.



1 comment:

  1. So happy to read your story, and how it all began. I think we have a wonderful adventure ahead of us, learning more about your history and what life has taught you along the way. So glad you are recording it for all of us.

    ReplyDelete