Thursday, March 24, 2016

Purim

Hamantaschen cookies, the traditional treat of Purim

   One of my favorite things about chaplaincy in the residential treatment center setting, is helping my students celebrate the holy days and holidays of their many faith traditions. Today is Purim, the day which commemorates the Jewish people in Persia being saved from extermination. You remember the story. Esther is asked by her cousin to not fully disclose her identity--that of being Jewish. However, through a series of twists and turns in the plot, the time comes where Esther is counseled by her cousin Mordecai to no longer keep silent. ..."who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14) Esther calls for all of the Jews in Persia to fast and pray for three days and then risks her life to go unsummoned before the king. Prayers are answered. Esther is able to speak to the king, and the Jews of Persia are spared.
     Have you ever been asked to do something really hard? Have you been Divinely prompted to do that which seems next to impossible? Perhaps you like Esther have been "brought to the kingdom for such a time as this." YOU were born for a reason. Your life has purpose and YOU and I can do hard things. The same Heavenly help which was there for Esther will be there for us as we seek to understand His will. Cross my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I missed this post. I love hearing about the holy days of other faiths. This story is my story too, even though I didn't know to celebrate it on a specific day.

    ReplyDelete